automatic promotion of freeze exceptions?

Mike Ruckman roshi at fedoraproject.org
Wed Nov 6 19:57:50 UTC 2013

On Wed, 6 Nov 2013 19:23:40 +0000 (UTC)
Andre Robatino <robatino at fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> Adam Williamson <awilliam <at> redhat.com> writes:
>
> > On Sat, 2013-11-02 at 14:52 +0000, Andre Robatino wrote:
> > > Do we or should we have a policy of automatically promoting
> > > unfixed freeze exceptions from Alpha to Beta, or Beta to Final?
> > > The concept doesn't make sense for blockers, since those have to
> > > be fixed at each stage before going to the next, but FEs don't.
> >
> > This comes up every so often, but there isn't an explicit policy
> > either way. In practice it does not happen because there is no
> > process or automated mechanism to make it happen.
>
> I wasn't thinking of automation, just a documented process that would
> give an individual permission to manually move an Accepted Beta FE to
> an Accepted Final FE (for example), without having to have a
> dedicated discussion in a meeting. I brought this up in the last
> Blocker Bug Review, and other people's feeling was that there was a
> danger in making them Accepted without discussion, since there may
> have been a lot of changes in the meantime. But isn't it standard
> practice to periodically reevaluate all Accepted Blockers and FEs
> anyway? If so, why single out these particular FEs for an additional
> evaluation, on top of the ones they would already be getting?

Moving FE's from Alpha to Beta makes a lot of sense and is easy to do
during secretarializing. Promoting to final seems risky - but with how
we re-visit all accepted FE's, I think this would be fine for
Alpha-Beta. We should take a vote on it in the next QA meeting and put
it on the wiki.

// Mike
Fedora QA
IRC: roshi | Twitter: roshi_fedora