F20 beta virt-manager cannot create bridged network interface

Richard Michael rmichael at edgeofthenet.org
Tue Nov 19 21:25:50 UTC 2013

On Tue, Nov 19, 2013 at 4:11 PM, Adam Williamson <awilliam at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 2013-11-19 at 13:35 -0500, Richard Michael wrote:
>
>> Aside, I'm wondering if F20 should have already created a bridge for
>> libvirt (e.g., should I need to create it myself?).  I selected the
>> 'Virtualization' group.  Perhaps this is related to Chris' down-thread
>> comment that not all required packages are in the group?
>
> No, AIUI, it does not and would never do that out of the box: it
> wouldn't really be appropriate for a package to go around screwing with
> your network config to that extent. It is not safe to assume anyone
> setting up 'virtualization' wants bridged networking; people who just
> want to use virt-manager as a VirtualBox-alike are probably happy with
> NATed networking.

Yes, agreed ; although --

My installation did was missing the default local NAT network.
Reading the libvirt.org wiki just now, this should be "out of the
box".  I followed the instructions to create it and get NAT working.

Does the Fedora team expect this default network to be created?  If
yes, I wonder if:

a/ there is a missing a package from the "Virtualization" group
(probably not, given remarks elsewhere in the thread)

or

b/ a post-install script failure from an installed package failed to
import the default.xml file to initialize the virtual network

Aside, I don't want to hijack the Fedora test list for
libvirt/virt-manager issues.  Should I move this to another list?

Regards,
Richard