PPPD no longer started for wwan in F20

Göran Uddeborg goeran at uddeborg.se
Fri Nov 22 20:57:21 UTC 2013

Testing F20 on a laptop, I have problems with the mobile broadband.

Background: we have a laptop running F17 which has a mobile broadband
using an internal modem.  The connection is set up using the Network
Manager, using the Swedish Tele2 profile.  It works fine.

This hardware is about to be replaced with a new laptop.  Good
opportunity to test F20 I thought!

Mostly it works just fine, but I'm having problems with the mobile
broadband.  The hardware seems to be recognized, and I configure in
the new Network Manager in the same way the old one.  As far as I can
tell it is the same way, the dialog is similar but not identical.

But it won't connect.  Having traced this in the logs a bit I've
discovered an interesting difference, but I'm not sure what is wrong.
On the old system, the login process comes to a place where pppd is
started over a tty device.  The connection then talks over the ppp0
network device.  In the corresponding place in the new system, no pppd
is started.  Instead, the system starts a dhclient on the wwan* device
which existed from the start, where it sends a DHCPDISCOVER.  But that
is never answered.

There is a wwan* device on the F17 system (called wwan0 there), but
that does not seem to be involved in the actual communication.

Is this an intended difference?  Am I supposed to say somewhere in the
F20 configuration that pppd is needed?  Or is this some kind of bug I
hit?