test matrix question, EFI vs x86_64

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Wed Oct 9 06:35:56 UTC 2013

On Tue, 2013-10-08 at 14:41 -0600, Chris Murphy wrote:
> On Oct 8, 2013, at 1:59 PM, Adam Williamson <awilliam at redhat.com> wrote:
> >  but in terms of the *general approach*, it is
> > that the 'x86_64' column represents x86_64 BIOS, and UEFI represents
> > x86_64 UEFI.
>
> OK good. Followup question: Is Mac EFI a suitable substitute for UEFI?
> In a sense Mac EFI is more limited, so any failure there doesn't
> necessarily mean broader failure with UEFI. Mac EFI is sortofa canary
> in a mine. If it works, then UEFI should work.

Well, there's always a slight element of subjectivity in filling out the
matrix. If you have an extremely unusual bug that happens to affect your
test configuration but would likely not affect anyone else's, you
probably won't mark the box as 'fail' (perhaps 'warn'). I'd say that
applies in this case: if the failure was one likely to affect other UEFI
configs I'd mark it as 'fail', if it was exclusive to the config being
tested, I'd say 'warn', it it works, 'pass'. If it's something that
likely only affects EFI Macs, that's an...interesting question, but we
do seem to mostly be on the 'block for Macs' side of the question at
present, so probably 'fail'.

Ultimately we can have multiple results for a matrix entry and the
entries are only guidance for human evaluation anyway, so it's not too
terribly important: the most important thing is that all potential
blocker bugs are nominated as blockers.
IRC: adamw | Twitter: AdamW_Fedora | XMPP: adamw AT happyassassin DOT net