Fedora 20 nfs

Eric Blake eblake at redhat.com
Mon Oct 14 16:04:32 UTC 2013

On 10/14/2013 09:56 AM, Mike Chambers wrote:
> On Sun, 2013-10-13 at 18:24 -0700, T.C. Hollingsworth wrote:
>
>> One thing I forgot that's always an issue...do you use NetworkManager
>> or ye olde network service?  If it's the former, try running
>> `systemctl enable NetworkManager-wait-online` and rebooting.
>> Sometimes systemd tries to mount stuff before NM gets the network up.
>> (I thought they had fixed this to just do the right thing when remote
>> FSes were in the mix nowadays, but maybe I'm mistaken.  Or it broke
>> again with F20??)
>
> Ok, think I've figured out the problem, but might be beyond my expertise
> to fix it..
>
> 1 - Network Manager is set to come online/start
> 2 - Network Manger wait-online shows in log as well here.
> 3 - Network Manger device itself shows up (as in I guess drivers and
> assigned what name it is called, p5p1 is my wired ethernet).
> 4 - Systemd tries here to mount the remote nfs directory, which fails
> 5 - Network Manger actually configures itself, via dhcp, to get it's
> network settings, such as IP, dns, etc..
>
> So it seems, via /var/log/messages that nfs is trying to get mounted
> BEFORE the network is completely configured.
>
> So no idea which one is wrong, either mounting gets done alot later
> (guess I could add to rc.local again like used to until fixed?), or NM
> needs to be configured a lot earlier.

I've got a similar problem - I've got my laptop set up to automount an
NFS share over wifi, and frequently hit a hang during system shutdown
because systemd allows Networkmanager (and the wifi) to be taken down
before NFS is fully unmounted, where the system then stalls for several
minutes waiting for the NFS unmount that is impossible at that point.  I
have no idea where to look at adding a dependency that says that yes, my
wifi network connection really must have a longer lifetime on BOTH sides
of the NFS mount point.