Licensing? Was: Removing Optical Boot Requirement from F20 Alpha Release Requirements

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Thu Sep 19 22:13:20 UTC 2013

On Sep 19, 2013, at 4:01 PM, Bill Nottingham <notting at redhat.com> wrote:

> Not speaking to any issues of legality or non-legality, but fairly sure he's
> referring to the FAT driver in the EFI bios itself, which would have to be
> distributed in the EFI bios used by QEMU/KVM for virtual systems. It's not
> the linux kernel driver.

I understand that distinction but as there is a FAT driver in the linux kernel distributed with Fedora, I don't see why it's suddenly a problem for an EFI virtual firmware that needs a FAT driver to ship with Fedora.

Also, Virtualbox includes a UEFI virtual firmware that can read EFI FAT and it's also open source and isn't run afoul of licensing issues insofar as I'm aware.

Chris Murphy