Adventures with Heisenbug Alpha

Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX caf at omen.com
Sun Sep 22 22:39:07 UTC 2013

I have been running various incarnations of Heisenbug on my office machine
for about a week now without problems.   Against my better judgement, I
decided to try running RC4 on the machine that runs omen.com.  At the
same time I switched from Sendmail to Exim, something I should have done
a long time ago.

Omen.com runs on an Intel i5-3550 with 32GB memory on an Asus P8Z77-VPRO.

For the first try I installed Heisenbug on a spare machine with a 4TB SATA
drive in a removable bay, then moved this drive to the omen.com server.
This didn't meet my expectations, so I tried to reinstall Heisenbug on the
server using netinst on a USB drive.  As with my office machine, booting
the RC4 netinst with UEFI didn't fly.  I booted netinst without UEFI but
kept
getting "unknown errors".    So I took out the new HD and restarted an
older version of Fedora.

Back to the spare machine.  I cleared the partition table with parted and
used the RC4 to install the development and creative workstation.  I then
used Yum to install Xfce and other stuff I use on Omen.com.  That HD
with Heisenbug is now the boot drive on omen.com.

I have encountered a change or bug in PHP that breaks PHP scripts that
have been in use for quite some time.  The following script no longer
generates the vlf6.plt file as it used to.  The ds5 program works properly
when invoked from the shell.

<?php
     $command = "ds5 +2000 -0.25 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8  >/u/h/vlf6.plt
2>/dev/null";
     system($command);
     $command ="cd /u/h;  tek2gif vlf6.plt 2>/dev/null";
     system($command);
?>

--
      Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX   caf at omen.com   www.omen.com