Moving away from reporting to RH bugzilla and adopting pure upstream reporting mantra.

Jonathan Kamens jik at kamens.us
Tue Sep 24 00:14:15 UTC 2013

On 09/23/2013 07:58 PM, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:
> On 09/23/2013 11:55 PM, Felix Miata wrote:
>> What to do when someone discovers what is clearly a problem but
>> neither he nor anyone reading his report here or on devel list can
>> tell whether the bug is in kernel, driver, xorg, gnome/kde/xfce/etc.
>> or something else?
> Well I'm pretty sure upstream is better suited to judge if their
> component is at fault then the package maintainer in Fedora or devel.
I am not at all sure about that.

Many, many bugs involve unexpected interactions between different
components. If you think upstream maintainers want to play whack-a-mole
trying to figure out why their package in Fedora is encountering an
issue that they're not encountering (remember, Fedora is the fifth most
popular distribution; MOST DEVELOPERS AREN'T USING IT) and users on
other distributions are not encountering, you're wrong. If you think
upstream maintainers want to have to maintain installations of every
distribution that ships their software, just so they can troubleshoot
distribution-specific bugs, you're wrong.

Furthermore, let's discuss how things will actually work under the
system you're proposing:

*User to upstream bugzilla A: *"I'm encountering bug frobnitz."

*Maintainer A: *"That bug is not being caused by my package. Go away."

*User:* "Then what package is causing it?"

*Maintainer:* "I don't know. Go away."

or maybe...

*Maintainer:* "Try bugilla B."

*User to upstream bugzilla B*: "I'm encountering bug frobnitz."

*Maintainer B:* "That bug is not being caused by my package. Go away."

*User:* "Then what package is causing it?"

*Maintainer: *"I don't know. Go away."

or maybe...

*Maintainer:* "Try bugzilla A."

or maybe...