F21 RC4 - Lenovo runs hot during install

Adam Williamson adamwill at fedoraproject.org
Wed Dec 3 21:37:53 UTC 2014

On Wed, 2014-12-03 at 14:31 -0500, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
> I don't know what is happening, but I now see that there is no question
> that my Lenovo x120e is running hot during an install.
>
> I have YET to get it to run hot during general usage.  Occationally it
> gets above 70degrees.  It is REALLY hot (by feeling fan exhaust) now.
>
> Fan is running full speed; or at least that is how it sounds.  What is
> anaconda doing?

Well, it's installing a bunch of packages. That involves various CPU and
disk-intensive operations. It's reasonable to assume that a system
performing an installation is doing more work than an installed system
sitting at rest.

> BTW, I noticed that while I was editing just the boot option to pull the
> netinst from my local repo, it started running hot.  And really nothing
> but editing was going on?

There's no particular power management going on outside the firmware at
the bootloader menu, I mean, nothing sophisticated enough to do any is
loaded. It sounds like the firmware isn't very good at heat management
on this system, perhaps? Maybe someone more knowledgeable can correct
me, but AIUI there's really nothing we have any control over here.
There's no power management code in grub that we need to be fixing, or
something.

> Oh, the system is a duo core and I have replaced the 320GB HD with a
> 240GB SSD.

are you sure you didn't mess up the internals somehow while doing that?