fedup f20->f21 kde broken deps

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Thu Dec 4 05:16:48 UTC 2014

On 12/03/2014 09:41 PM, Adam Williamson wrote:
> On Wed, 2014-12-03 at 18:21 +0100, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
>> On 12/03/2014 05:54 PM, Neal Becker wrote:
>>
>>> What is needed here, is an option to yum to use updates-testing _only_ to solve
>>> broken deps.
>>
>> This would be playing with symptoms. What we need is a fix to the Fedora
>> release process. It simply is broken and has always been broken, ever
>> since Fedora exists.
>
> Nothing's broken.
My point is:

All NEVRs of packages in Fedora(N) must be <= Fedora(N+1).

At the current point in time this does not apply, so all attempts to
yun/dnf-upgrade and to run fedup must fail

> Fedora 21 is not yet released. There's no reasonable
> expectation that upgrades should work perfectly at this point.

I disagree. IMO, at this point in time, it's necessary to have upgrades
working to be able to test upgrades.

> An issue
> like this, which is a perfectly logical and understood consequence of a
> reasonable release process, does not indicate that 'it simply is
> broken'.
I disagree.

At this point in time fedora(N) + fedora-updates(N) and
fedora(N+1)+updates(N+1) must be working.

fedora-testing(N+1) must be disabled and the update push-cycles be
synchronised.

> The updates repository is populated before we announce the release. If
> there are broken upgradepaths at that point we should aim to fix them as
> a high priority before release.
Well, this had never worked ever since Fedora exists. At the time
releases had been released, fc(N+1) had always contained packages with
NEVR less than fc(N).

These were a consequence of the working prinicples of the current workflow.

> There are logically speaking only two ways you could possibly 'fix' this
> without introducing yet another repository, if that's what you wanted to
> do:
>
> 1. Implement a perfect and strictly-enforced upgradepath test
Exactly.

> The consequence of this would be that no-one could update anything in a
> stable release past the version in Branched stable - *even during a
> Branched milestone freeze*
Untrue. All you need to do is to apply the "after release" update policy.

I.e.: push updates to "updates" on both Fedora(N) and Fedora(N+1). When
you need to cut a snapshot, move Fedora(N+1) updates into the main
repository.

> 2. Implement a perfect and strictly-enforced upgradepath test and
> abandon milestone freezes
>
> The consequence of this would be be we'd probably never manage to get
> the damn milestone releases done because people would keep pushing
> changes that break them.
>
> Neither of those seems likes an improvement on the current situation to
> me.
Well, right now, you can't test upgrading and are likely to be broken
upgrade paths (as Fedora had always done).

Ralf