fedup f20->f21 kde broken deps

Adam Williamson adamwill at fedoraproject.org
Thu Dec 4 10:25:21 UTC 2014

On Thu, 2014-12-04 at 10:28 +0100, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> On Wed, 03 Dec 2014 12:41:41 -0800, Adam Williamson wrote:
>
> > Nothing's broken. Fedora 21 is not yet released. There's no reasonable
> > expectation that upgrades should work perfectly at this point. An issue
>
> Are you kidding?
>
> Fedora 21 -- when released -- will be affected by the problem in the same
> way it has been with all older releases of Fedora.

I already pointed out that before release, we do a 0-day update push.
All updates currently pending for stable in updates-testing will be
pushed to F21 updates at that point.

> Packages in Fedora 21 + Updates MUST be "newer than" anything available
> for older dist releases. With "anything" including updates-testing.

Nope. That's an unreasonable requirement. How are you supposed to build
a perfectly legitimate minor version update for all three
currently-supported releases at the same time, with that rule? You
can't, because as soon as you send the new build to F(N-1)
updates-testing it's newer than the build in F(N) updates. We don't have
that rule, because it would be a silly rule. That rule would require you
to build it for Branched, wait for it to go stable, then build it for
Branched -1, wait for it to go stable, then build it for Branched -2,
and wait for it to go stable. No maintainer is going to go for that.

>  If that
> were accomplished, dist upgrades would work much better. Users would never
> find packages in Fedora 21, which are "older than" updates for older dist
> releases.

At the cost of entirely unnecessarily slowing down the update process,
and annoying maintainers to the point they'd just give up.

> Not even mirror propagation times are considered so far. In some cases
> where updates for the latest dist release are still pending, people believe
> everything will be fine "with the next push", but actually it can take
> quite some time (days!) for the packages to be mirrored.

Why is this suddenly such a huge deal? fedup warns you about packages
which don't have updates. If you're concerned about any of them, you can
deal with it in various ways. You can also run yum --distro-sync after
upgrading to pull all packages into line for the release you're on. It
just seems like you're making a mountain out of a molehill, here.