different behaviour between pm_suspend and gnome-tweak-tool->power->suspend in F21

Adam Williamson adamwill at fedoraproject.org
Sat Dec 6 07:59:12 UTC 2014

On Fri, 2014-12-05 at 10:29 -0800, Samuel Sieb wrote:
> On 12/05/2014 02:55 AM, Joachim Backes wrote:
> > Using directly a simple pm-supend command (without --quirk-vbe-post) in
> > a gnome3 session and pressing afterwards some key, the session directly
> > resumes.
> >
> > If I say  power->suspend in gnome-tweak-tool and then press the power
> > button, the machine suspends, but if afterwards I press some key (for
> > resuming), the gnome3 screen is locked, and I have to enter the passwd.
> >
> > Any explanation for this difference?
> >
> pm-suspend is much lower level and skips all the management stack.

Most significantly, it's lower level than GNOME, so GNOME doesn't get
any chance to handle the suspend. When you suspend from GNOME itself,
obviously it's able to stick in the lock screen handling (I think what
it actually does is lock the screen *before* suspending, so it's locked
when you resume).