fedup f20->f21 kde broken deps

Adam Williamson adamwill at fedoraproject.org
Mon Dec 8 07:26:08 UTC 2014

On Mon, 2014-12-08 at 07:36 +0100, Ralf Corsepius wrote:

> > Just for the purpose of testing upgrade.img, you can simply enable
> > updates-testing if it turns out you have a situation like this and you
> > need a package from u-t to make the upgrade package set viable.
> This is not true. They are completely different scenarios.
>
> The purpose of using "release"+"updates"+"updates-testing" is entirely
> different from using "release"+"updates", esp. in stages like these.
>
> The purpose of using "release"+"updates" is to test upgrading to
> Fedora(N+1) (and testing fedup/yum/dnf-support ) and not to test
> update-candidate packages from "update-testing".

I don't really see the distinction as important, because it is a
perennially moving target in any case. After Tuesday, f21 will get a new
stable updates push every day. That means any given 'test' of fedup is
only relevant, so far as the upgradepath issues are concerned, for one
day. It's not like the test tells us much about the experience someone
upgrading next Monday will have, so how important is it, really?

The most significant thing to test, by far, is the upgrade.img that's in
the frozen tree, because once that's frozen, it's frozen. The second
most significant thing to test is the fedup binary - though it can be
updated, we do want to make sure we ship with a good working version of
it in the current stable release. The upgrade path itself is by far the
least important thing to test, because it *changes every day*, so almost
as soon as you test it, the test is obsolete. For me it's really just a
special case of normal updates testing: if you see an issue in the
upgradepath the first thing to do is just forget about it and try again
in a couple of days. If it doesn't look like it's being fixed, file a
bug against the affected package. But it is ongoing testing, like update
testing. It's not some sort of 'we must do it PERFECTLY and we must do
it NOW' thing, because that just doesn't map.