Fedora/Gnome3 : Display Problem on my hardware.

Madhurjya Roy roymadhurjya at gmail.com
Fri Dec 12 15:49:22 UTC 2014

Hey guys,

My old  PC MoBo recently died and so, I built a  new PC with
the following hardware specification :

* Processor : AMD A4-6300K 3.7 GHz Dual Core APU with integrated
Radeon HD 8370D GPU

* MoBo : MSI A58M-E33

* RAM : 4 GB Corsair Value RAM 1600 MHz.

* HDD : 500 GB WD Caviar @ 7200 rpm

* Monitor : 19 inch Samsung SyncMaster at 1400 X 900 pixels @ 60-75 Hz
refresh rate

So, I went ahead and popped in the Fedora 21 Workstation Disc.
Anaconda worked well
and installed Fedora 21.

But as soon as I restarted my PC and logged in I found the desktop
flickering! I moved the mouse pointer and it flickered even more
vigorously and when I pulled through the activities hot corner, I
could barely see the icons, which appeared like distorted squares.

Somehow, I managed to open the terminal. All the text in the terminal
were clearly visible, I installed Xfce desktop and to my surprise it
worked fine, text and icon everything was clear and perfectly
usable. Next, I installed KDE and it worked as well. I really had trouble
understanding the wobbly widgety interface, though! So, I assumed the
problem is with Gnome 3.

I reinstalled the complete Gnome desktop and alas, the problem
persisted! I have used Fedora 20 for quite some time on my
laptop, so, I booted a live image of Fedora 20, that I had had flashed
onto a pen drive and still there was the same problem.

Frustrated, I gave up and installed Ubuntu, Unity worked well but
when I installed Gnome3, I was back where I was, running a completely
graphically distorted UI!

I've since changed many distros (without Gnome as DE) and all of them
worked fine. Windows 8.1 worked fluidly as well! I am currently using
Ubuntu 14.10 (with Unity as DE). I found it quite close to Gnome3.

However, I would still like to use Fedora and since, I'm using this as
a multimedia PC, so Gnome3 is still my preference.

>From my observations, it seems to be a Gnome 3 hardware incompatibility issue.

I've tried changing refreshing rate, resolution and colour depth and
nothing could solve the issue! Even switching to the proprietary AMD
drivers didn't work out.

Should I file a bug report on BugZilla?

If anyone's got some idea, please help!

Thanks,