Fedora/Gnome3 : Display Problem on my hardware.

Adam Williamson adamwill at fedoraproject.org
Fri Dec 12 17:17:36 UTC 2014

On Fri, 2014-12-12 at 12:10 -0500, Fred Smith wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 12, 2014 at 09:19:22PM +0530, Madhurjya Roy wrote:
> > Hey guys,
> >

> I understand that Gnome-3 simply doesn't work well without 3D
> video acceleration. i've not personally experienced that, so I don't
> know if your symptoms are what actually occurs without 3D accel.
>
> Now, I know your AMD processor includes a Radeon video unit, so you
> SHOULD be getting 3d accel.
>
> however, if you didn't install AMD/ATI's proprietary driver for it,
> you're probably depending on the open source driver instead, and I
> suppose it simply may not work very well with that particular chip.
>
> As I said, I have no direct experience, so I may be all wet here.

Shell will run fine without 3D acceleration, it'll just be a bit slow
and use some CPU time. It wouldn't do *this*, though.

It's probably more a case of a bug in the radeon driver for the
hardware in question which GNOME's rendering happens to hit, while the
other desktops don't. I'd file the bug either against xorg-x11-drv-ati
in RH Bugzilla or Product xorg, Component Driver/Radeon in
bugs.freedesktop.org , including the stuff described in
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_debug_Xorg_problems .