Grub, which Kernel to boot

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Thu Dec 18 04:29:47 UTC 2014

On Wed, Dec 17, 2014 at 9:08 PM, Adam Williamson
<adamwill at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> On Wed, 2014-12-17 at 14:01 -0700, Chris Murphy wrote:
>> On Wed, Dec 17, 2014 at 1:03 AM, Adam Williamson <
>> adamwill at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
>> >

>> > Hm. There was a known bug along these lines around Alpha, but it
>> > was expected to be fixed for Final. I'll try and find a minute to
>> > look into it tomorrow.
>>
>> It's fixed for final.
>>
>> I just did a clean install and had Software do an update. GRUB menu
>> reads:
>>
>> Fedora (3.17.6-300.fc21.x86_64) 21 (Twenty One)
>> Fedora, with Linux 3.17.4-301.fc21.x86_64
>> Fedora, with Linux 0-rescue-61c64a60bd864adab04f19092de83ff0
>>
>> The first one is selected by default.
>>

> Yeah, I did the same test with the same result. Not sure why Joerg is
> seeing a problem, though, when he installed Final...

Memory fuzzy, but I think there was more than one thing going on at
that time. I don't think there's been a change in grubby related to
grubenv but maybe there's something stale in there causing Joerg's
problem? If that's true then this would fix it:

grub2-set-default 0

Another possibility is some difference between BIOS and UEFI; today I
only tested BIOS since it was available. Actually, as I'm thinking
about it, the grubenv on UEFI I think is in /boot/grub2 but
core.img/grubx64.efi isn't looking there, so it wouldn't be a factor
no matter what it's set to.

--
Chris Murphy