F21 emergency.target when root pw isn't set

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Fri Dec 19 05:26:38 UTC 2014

On Thu, Dec 18, 2014 at 4:14 PM, R P Herrold <herrold at owlriver.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 18 Dec 2014, Chris Murphy wrote:
>
>> However, after changing the root password, the command
>> reboot is not found. And exit causes a kernel panic!
>
> WHen I hit the 'systemd wants a root password' issue, I loop
> mounted the image I wished to boot, and set the root PW in
> /etc/shadow to a blanked value (i.e., no passwd) to get around
> the issue

I'm not sure what this means.

OS X and Windows have a basic recovery/repair environment that do not
require any sort of login to access, and that includes password
resetting. I'm not really grokking the point of systemd making
single/emergency target locked down like this; physical access is
assumed because in emergency mode there is no network. And physical
access has always meant full access unless the volumes are encrypted.
I'm a bit stumped how this is supposed to work without really esoteric
knowledge.

--
Chris Murphy