Release criterion proposal: "Package sets" (Alpha and Beta)

Mike Ruckman roshi at fedoraproject.org
Tue Dec 23 22:39:14 UTC 2014

On Tue, Dec 23, 2014 at 10:21:11AM -0800, Adam Williamson wrote:

<snip>

> I propose we re-word the Alpha criterion to:
>
> "When installing with a release-blocking dedicated installer image,
> the installer must be able to install the default package set."
>
> and add a Beta criterion:
>
> "When installing with a release-blocking dedicated installer image,
> the default package set must be correct."
>
> with an explanatory note that 'correct' means the package set intended
> by the group responsible for the image - Product WG, FESCo or whoever.

+1 to the rewording.

> I'm not sure whether we need a requirement for non-default package
> sets. Note that the case for offline media is already covered by Alpha
> criterion "No broken packages":
>
> "There must be no errors in any package on the release-blocking images
> which cause the package to fail to install."
>
> network installs using updates media don't really need to block on
> package set issues, as they can be fixed. That leaves the question of
> whether we'd want to block the release if, say, there was a bug which
> meant that if you tried to netinst KDE without the updates repos
> enabled, it failed. What do folks think about that?

I'd be for blocking on a broken netinst (like your example), but if the
repos are the same used for image creation this shouldn't really be an
issue, right? (Yeah, I know I used the "S" word :p ) AIUI things would
break in other places if this particular issue was to come up. Is my
understanding correct?

--
// Mike