F21 on Lenovo production - no audio when there was during beta

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Sun Dec 28 17:54:02 UTC 2014

On 12/28/2014 11:45 AM, Adam Williamson wrote:
> On Sun, 2014-12-28 at 08:00 -0500, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
>> I just noticed that I have no audio on my Lenovo x120e with F21 and
>> Xfce.  I tested this during the beta (but do not remember which beta
>> release) with VLC and listened to a mp4 lecture.
>>
>> Now nothing, and the Xfce audio panel reports:  'No valid device
>> and/or element'.
>>
>> I rebooted, just to be sure that all the suspends I had done since
>> the last boot was not at fault, and still no audio.
>>
>> How do I troubleshoot this one?
>>
> I haven't updated
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_debug_sound_problems for a
> while, but it should still be pretty much valid. You might also want
> to check you don't have a ~/.pulse/client.conf lying around which
> specifies 'autospawn=no' as that seems to break initial PA startup for
> me.
Thanks for this pointer.  I was able to figure out that it was
defaulting to HDMI audio, which I do not have.  I DO have the external
video attached, but VGA.  So I used the pulse audo config dialog window
and muted the HDMI, and it switched to the internal speakers.

When I did the testing with the beta, I was not connected to the
external video.  So that could be the difference.  Once external video
is enabled, it ASSUMES it must be HDMI, as this Lenovo has HDMI along
with VGA.

More testing later.  Got to run some errands.  But I got audio working.

thanks