F20 and Rawhide: Headless install and enabling VNC

Michal Jaegermann michal at harddata.com
Fri Feb 21 03:14:27 UTC 2014

On Thu, Feb 20, 2014 at 06:06:16PM -0800, Adam Williamson wrote:

> The *point* of the copy-and-edit system is so the 'stock' configuration
> can be updated and you don't wind up with .rpmnews all over the place.

And now with my 'private' configuration simply overriding that 'stock'
any corresponding "unit" updates/changes will be simply ignored even if
a new version of a software has non-trivial functional differences, or
if defaults need to be adjusted for security reasons, or ...  Morevover
I am quite in dark about it _unless_ I happen to notice that update and
remember that I have to reconcile my possibly few years old
configuration with 'stock'.  Maybe you keep somewhere precise records
for each system and every modification and conscientiously check them
all the time but I am not that tidy.  Unfortunately.

> If we ship it as /etc/systemd/system/vncserver at .service and you edit it,

The point is that I would rather not edit it at all and have my local
configuration data applied in relevant places.  That was a role of
properly written data files in /etc/sysconfig/. 'systemd' is actually
capable of a substantial bit of that.

> it's never going to be 'magically' reconciled on update, you'll just get
> a .rpmnew file. That's not any better.

At least .rpmnew flags for me that something happened I may want to look
at.  Only that passing extra options from a configuration file quite
often does not need on an update neither .rpmnew nor .rpmsave.

   Michal