/var/log/messages is scrambled!

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Wed Feb 26 07:35:29 UTC 2014

On Feb 25, 2014, at 9:54 PM, Chris Murphy <lists at colorremedies.com> wrote:

> Since I'm using xattr +C on /var/log/journal at the moment, the logs don't have Btrfs checksums, so I don't have an independent way to know if the logs are corrupt at a file system level or just internally.

journalctl --verify and Btrfs scrubs are pass/clean on a new VM with Btrfs default layout - which does not set xattr +C on anything. So I think the ~2 month old VM has some corrupt logs due to me often force quitting the VM because I am heartless and cruel.

In any case, there doesn't yet seem to be cause-effect between the journal and Btrfs.

Chris Murphy