rawhide report: 20140113 changes

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Tue Jan 14 19:37:25 UTC 2014

On Tue, 14 Jan 2014 11:03:30 -0800, Adam Williamson wrote:

> The process here is
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_remove_a_package_at_end_of_life .
> What I am basically asking is whether one needs to adopt an orphaned
> package in order to put it through that process, or whether it is OK for
> any packager to file a retirement request on a package that is clearly
> an appropriate candidate for requirement. But I phrased it more
> generally in case this is a 'known situation' with other wrinkles to it.

Since it's "Orphaned" in pkgdb and not "Deprecated" (= retired) yet,
it's needs at least somebody with permission to retire it in pkgdb.
Somebody from releng usually can do that, too.

Similarly for dist git. It needs commit access (e.g. co-maintainer
itamarjp) or a provenpackager or somebody from releng to retire it in dist
git (the "fedpkg retire …" step that would also retire in pkgdb nowadays).

Becoming the owner of the package prior to filing a "koji block request in
the releng" tracker is not necessary. Several packagers have done that
before, not only provenpackagers (who sometimes complete missings steps of
the package EOL procedure for retired packages).

Of course it can happen that releng will ask for the background before
blocking a package actually. "obexftp replacing obexfs because of an
upstream merge" should be mentioned to them. Part of the story also
seems to be bug 1014177 which sounds as if obexfs would not built with
current openobex anymore and would need to be ported first (likely the
reason it has been merged into obexftp upstream).