rawhide report: 20140113 changes

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Thu Jan 16 11:52:33 UTC 2014

On Tue, 14 Jan 2014 11:42:25 -0800, Adam Williamson wrote:

> > Since it's "Orphaned" in pkgdb and not "Deprecated" (= retired) yet,
> > it's needs at least somebody with permission to retire it in pkgdb.
> > Somebody from releng usually can do that, too.
> >
> > Similarly for dist git. It needs commit access (e.g. co-maintainer
> > itamarjp) or a provenpackager or somebody from releng to retire it in dist
> > git (the "fedpkg retire …" step that would also retire in pkgdb nowadays).
> >
> > Becoming the owner of the package prior to filing a "koji block request in
> > the releng" tracker is not necessary. Several packagers have done that
> > before, not only provenpackagers (who sometimes complete missings steps of
> > the package EOL procedure for retired packages).
>
> I'm a provenpackager, I have all the necessary powers, but I didn't know
> whether it was acceptable per policy for a provenpackager to retire a
> package they do not own.

Then it might be an idea to ask those that have created the policy.
[ https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Who_is_allowed_to_modify_which_packages ]
[ http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_remove_a_package_at_end_of_life ]

You only save releng some time, if you retire it. It's an orphan,
obsolete (as soon as the Obsoletes tag would be added) and conflicts.

If you acquire ownership in pkgdb, you could retire it even there, too.

Not retiring the package and not getting it blocked in koji could become
troublesome. Worst that can happen (and has happened before) is that
someone (e.g. the current co-maintainer or someone who takes over the
package in pkgdb) releases an upgrade with an EVR higher than the
Obsoletes tag in obexftp.