MSR_IA32_THERM_CONTROL: 0x0 [Software-controlled clock disabled (full speed)]

piruthiviraj natarajan piruthiviraj at gmail.com
Mon Jan 27 15:43:43 UTC 2014

Recently for the past couple of months I have been noticing that when I
start firefox my system fans go mad and CPU temp rises significantly by at
least 5Celcius. When I use Google plus the CPU usage reaches at least
40-60% and I assume javascript is making the system go crazy. This rarely
happens in chrome though. I found this same behavior in other distros as
well. Debian unstable, Gentoo, arch. I thought if I switched to some recent
versions(stransky's copr
packages)<http://copr.fedoraproject.org/coprs/stransky/FirefoxGtk3/>of
Firefox 29 would help but to no avail. Did anyone else notice this
kind
of thing on their systems?
I think its specific to recent Intel core processors.
my output of x86info is
x86info -m
x86info v1.30.  Dave Jones 2001-2011
Feedback to <davej at redhat.com>.

Found 8 identical CPUs
Extended Family: 0 Extended Model: 3 Family: 6 Model: 58 Stepping: 9
Type: 0 (Original OEM)
CPU Model (x86info's best guess): Unknown model.
Processor name string (BIOS programmed): Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3630QM CPU @
2.40GHz

Performance MSRs:
  MSR_IA32_PERF_STATUS: 0x238c00002100
  MSR_IA32_MISC_ENABLE: 0x850089 [Enabled: TCC PerfMon EnhancedSpeedStep ]

Thermal MSRs:
  MSR_PM_THERM2_CTL: 0x0 [Thermal monitor: 1]
  MSR_IA32_THERM_CONTROL: 0x0 [Software-controlled clock disabled (full
speed)]
  MSR_IA32_THERM_STATUS: 0x88190000

Total processor threads: 8

What does this software-controlled clock disabled (full speed) mean in this
output? Can I manually enable it again so that system would not run hot
like crazy?