F20 beta virt-manager cannot create bridged network interface

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Mon Jan 27 20:13:44 UTC 2014

On Mon, 2014-01-27 at 10:04 -0500, Cole Robinson wrote:

> This is all news to me, please put all the details in a bug report and CC me.
> You can start with filing it against libvirt and we can triage from there.
>

> > What exactly *IS* our official setup for Bridging support??
> >

> What was it ever, really? You could do it with virt-manager but that could
> also fall over in multiple ways. You could do it with sysconfig scripts but
> that required stopping NetworkManager which is basically impossible on a
> modern desktop.

It's not at all difficult, AFAIK. My 'vmhost' machine which runs all my
production server VMs uses the old 'network' service (and has bridging
set up the really-old-skool way). I haven't done any ninja magic to turn
off NetworkManager, I haven't even removed it. All I did, years ago,
was:

systemctl disable NetworkManager.service
systemctl enable network.service

that's worked, ever since, across multiple updates, upgrades and system
restarts. I've never had a problem.

Is there some problem I'm unaware of which means it's not this easy to
turn off NM in some situation that doesn't match mine?

> Nowadays there should be a NetworkManager UI solution but it hasn't been
> advertised very much and isn't entirely straightforward:
>
> https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/devel/2014-January/194003.html
>
> I think someone needs to blog about it with screenshots, then we can link to
> it with all the fedora virt and upstream libvirt pages.
>

> > We've failed hard in 19/20 on bridging and it's burnt me so much, I want to
> > add a test case for Fedora 21 on this, where can I do this?
> >

> Fedora test day test case template:
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Template:QA/Test_Case
>
> Maybe add a network manager bridge UI test case for the gnome test day, but
> you'll have to check with the folks who run it. Or if there's a networking
> test day.
>
> I run the virt test day, and I've made a note to add test cases for setting up
> a bridge. I think there's an old one but it should be bumped and modernized.

It would be nice to try and ensure NM and virt-manager are singing from
the same hymn sheet and there's some nice documentation somewhere about
the "Proper Way" to set up bridging with modern virt-manager and
NetworkManager, indeed. Shouldn't it be possible to just pointy-clicky
it from virt-manager by now, in an Ideal World?