Fedora 21 Alpha validation test work

Kamil Paral kparal at redhat.com
Wed Jul 9 11:52:33 UTC 2014

> Hi, folks.
>
> So, we're scheduled for Alpha TC1 tomorrow. We had a nice happy
> co-operative plan where QA and the WGs would collaborate on revising the
> release validation test process for Fedora.next...
>
> ...which, well, didn't really happen. As of this morning we were nowhere
> near having a viable validation process. So I went for plan B: I spent
> today more or less pulling the entire thing out of my ass.

Lots of work has been done. Thanks, Adam.

When I look at all those blank cells waiting to be filled in, I'm getting a bit dizzy :-)

Do you think it would make sense to use the same approach as we used in Rawhide test matrices for selected F21 matrices as well? I.e. instead of erasing all cells every time a new TC is released, we would use the "put date/TC number into the cell" approach? I think it would help us to improve our coverage - currently we don't have a good overview of which test cases were tested regularly in previous TCs and which were not at all, because it's hard to consolidate and compare the past results. For RCs we could use the traditional approach of a fresh new wiki page, but for TCs the new approach could be helpful, I think.

Especially in small matrices like Server or Base it could work well, but even for larger ones it might be worth the try. And it would be a bit less depressive than to see your results "erased" with ever new compose.

I have modified the results template a bit (the username is now shown as a tooltip to reduce clutter, thanks jskladan for help) and the result could look like this:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Kparal/Results_Template_Alternative

We could set up some recommendations for when to keep the older TC results and when to overwrite (e.g. from TC1 pass -> TC2 pass), and/or maintain the matrix manually (remove old data when needed). There are a lot of options in this area.

What do you think?