Announcing the release of Fedora 21 Beta!

Gavin Flower GavinFlower at archidevsys.co.nz
Wed Nov 5 18:03:08 UTC 2014

On 06/11/14 03:57, Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 05, 2014 at 07:26:55AM -0500, Joerg Lechner wrote:
>> what is confusing is that F21-Final-TC1 has 1.4GB and
>> the download link for prerelease says:
>> "Download now!
>> 1.4GB, ISO format image for 64bit-compatible PC"
>> Therefore I don't know, the "1.3GB build beta RC4" or the "1.4GB build beta final TC1" is the prerelease build.
>> Anyway for me no problem I use always the newest build to look at.
> RC comes after TC, and TCs can never be the release.
>
> That said, I see your concern.
>
> Awesomely, whether it is 1.3G or 1.4G is somewhat ambiguous. Storage is
> usually measured with _decimal_ prefixes, so 1410334720 ÷ 10⁹ is 1.41G.
> This includes DVD and Blu-Ray media, so there's some logic in using it.
>
> Of course, may other things in computing are measured with binary
> prefixes, so a 1410334720 ÷ 2³⁰ = 1.31GiB, which is probably what your
> browser is telling you (although also probably not with the
> for-nerds-only GiB prefix).

I tend to think that all reporting of bytes should be in powers of 2.
So RAM and other storage should be in units of 1024*n.

Therefore reporting disk space in powers of 10 is essentially cheating,
and at best misleading.

Also always using powers of 2 would be a lot more consistent.

But hey, I've only been programming since 1968, so what is my opinion
worth!  :-)

Cheers,
Gavin

Cheers,