F21 RC1 fixes - Re: F21 TC4 Server netinst hangs at Probing Storage

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Fri Nov 28 19:47:06 UTC 2014

> Using the new x86_64 F21 Final RC1 Netinst iso, I got past the finding
> storage problem.  I am now installing the new system (from my local
> repo).
>
> So whichever bug:  1111722 or 1167959,
>
> I seem to be good.  This time I am installing the Ldxe desktop to give
> it a quick run to choose either it or Xfce.  Once I boot in, I will
> try the install again, to ensure this is fixed.

BTW, the message I got on install that I had to click through was:

"failed to remove old efi boot entry.  This is most likely a kernel bug."

The boot was very problematic.  At first it tried to boot off LAN
instead of HD.  HD WAS before LAN in boot order.  After the LAN did not
boot, it did switch to the HD.  Gave me the kernel menu where I selected
to first choice as always.   Boot started then machine turned off!

Waited a bit, and tried again.  Went right to the HD this time, got a
bit into the boot process then the machine turned off again.

Had to attend to other matters, came back in about 15 min, tried again,
this time it booted into the Ldxe testtop.  I decided really quick that
I don't want this desktop, and I DO want to try the setup again....

I powered off.  Connected the CD drive and booted the netinst CD. Edited
the boot commands for:

ip=dhcp repo=http://my.local.repo/

And got into the boot and the menu no problem.  I see that the check box
for updates is greyed out, of course there are not updates.  But I can
add other repos.  I wonder if I were to add the update (once available)
here, if it would have the proper weight to replace rpms from the os repo?

Drive menu access worked.  In software, this time I chose Xfce desktop
and appropriate software.

I had to attend to another matter and let the install proceed.  I
expected to come back to it waiting for the OK to get past the efi
problem.  I came back and it was well past this all the way to the
reboot on successful install.  So either there is a timer on the OK and
if you do not click within the designated time, it goes on anyway, or it
finally did the efi boot write.  How do I check this? I suppose I can go
to the old bug and look for some of the instructions on how to display
the efi boot content.

So it seems the most recent problems are fixed.  Something was wrong
with my Ldxe install that resulted in three boots until the system came
up.  A final Xfce install and things are good.

This is all I can do until Saturday night or sunday.