Is there a reason gnome documents wasn't part of the test day?

Michael Catanzaro mcatanzaro at gnome.org
Fri Sep 5 13:15:55 UTC 2014

On Fri, 2014-09-05 at 12:56 +1000, Ankur Sinha wrote:
> I'm just going to drop a mail to the desktop list to get their
> attention
> on these bugs. At the moment, switching to gnome-documents rather than
> the traditional folder based organisation method is a disappointing
> experience. :/

GNOME Documents is based on a mistaken premise: that users will want to
move stuff into ~/Documents and leave it there unorganized, then
organize it in GNOME Documents. If you care at all about keeping
documents stored in a reasonable hierarchy inside ~/Documents, you're
out of luck.

My workflow:

* Download a PDF.
* Open Files and copy the PDF from ~/Downloads into ~/Documents or a
subfolder of ~/Documents. I'm not going to skip this step!
* Open GNOME Documents and give that PDF a reasonable category, because
everything is completely disorganized in GNOME Documents otherwise. I am
willing to skip this step, by not using GNOME Documents at all.

Even when I do resolve to use GNOME Documents, I give up very quickly as
I'm not up for reorganizing all my documents into reasonable categories
when they are already organized nicely on disk.

This is a shame, since it really is a nice document viewer.

It's also basically useless if you want to store some PDFs outside of
~/Documents.

Michael