[Test-Announce] naming schemes

Felix Miata mrmazda at earthlink.net
Mon Sep 8 07:48:34 UTC 2014

On 2014-09-07 22:27 (GMT-0700) Adam Williamson composed:

> On Sun, 2014-09-07 at 13:27 -0400, Felix Miata wrote:

>> On 2014-09-07 09:41 (GMT-0700) Adam Williamson composed:

>> > It's not randomly chosen, we're iterating towards a naming scheme that
>> > doesn't suck.

>> All naming schemes that include underscores suck, and for more than one reason.

> Well, that was constructive. You could perhaps suggest some?

If I knew why someone thought 21_Alpha_TC6 was better than F21a-TC1 and
21-Alpha-TC3 I could do better. I never put underscores or whitespace in
filenames or directory names. Names of downloads that do either get trashed
or renamed. What's wrong with 21AlphaTC6, kdeRuntimeLibs or
googleDroidSansMonoFonts, all of which can be pronouced without a bazillion
extra syllables? Un-der-score, multiply? Why does anyone do that? Can anyone
type an underscore without looking at the keyboard? Underscores for most
purposes (not all), are _booby_traps_ (only after clicking send will I know
if they produced the result I want).

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/