Proposing new dual booting release criteria

Gene Czarcinski gczarcinski at gmail.com
Wed Sep 10 21:02:03 UTC 2014

On 09/10/2014 03:25 PM, Tom Horsley wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Sep 2014 15:16:18 -0400
> Gene Czarcinski wrote:
>
>> >Personally, I do not use os-prober and prefer to create
>> >/etc/grub.d/40_custom files which use configfile to "chain-load" other
>> >configuration files.
> Me too, which is why I really really wish I could tell anaconda
> to create the grub2 directory and cfg file, but not try to actually
> install grub and screw around with the MBR and such.
As long as my system has more than one disk drive ... I fake it. With
/dev/sda the "normal" bios boot drive, I tell anaconda to install grub2
into the MBR of /dev/sdb.  I have previously updated
/etc/grub.d/40_custom to add a configfile entry for the new system.

BTW, I have proposed to change/replace the os-prober functionality with
something that uses configfile to chain load other Fedora installs.  Ran
the flag up the pole but nobody saluted.  Naturally, you need to regular
chainload for windows.

I have delved into anaconda code before, maybe I will look at creating a
patch have anaconda NOT install grub2 in the mbr.  Mmmm ... I wonder if
"no mbr" is also appropriate for syslinux/extlinux.

Gene