why does perl-ExtUtils-MakeMaker depend on systemtap-sdt-devel?

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Thu Sep 11 04:26:22 UTC 2014

On 09/10/2014 08:24 PM, Adam Jackson wrote:
> On Wed, 2014-09-10 at 12:32 -0400, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>>    possibly admitting my ignorance, but why does installing
>> perl-ExtUtils-MakeMaker drag in systemtap-sdt-devel? i see no logical
>> connection, and i don't even have any systemtap packages installed.
>>
>>    i ask since i'm working with a software package that fails to
>> configure properly if the header file "sys/sdt.h" is installed on the
>> development system, but it needs the MakeMaker package, so i'm in a
>> bit of a dilemma.
Coincidence of events. I hit the same issue yesterday when trying rt-4
on f21 for the first time ;)

> When in doubt:
>
> $ echo n | sudo yum install --releasever=21 --installroot=/tmp/empty foo
>
> And then examine the output.  In this case, perl-ExtUtils-MakeMaker →
> perl-ExtUtils-Install → perl-devel → systemtap-sdt-devel.  Which appears
> to have been so since December 2010:

Yes, it's perl-devel which pulls in systemtap-sdt-devel

But, I think there are a couple of bogus deps on perl-devel in some of
the perl package's sub-packages, which are causing the dependency bloat e.g:

perl-ExtUtils-CBuilder
perl-ExtUtils-Embed
perl-ExtUtils-Install
perl-ExtUtils-MakeMaker
perl-ExtUtils-ParseXS
perl-Module-Build

I don't think any of these should R: "perl-devel"
(f21-patch enclosed below).

Ralf