Proposing new dual booting release criteria

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Sat Sep 13 21:00:55 UTC 2014

On Sep 13, 2014, at 11:03 AM, Adam Williamson <adamwill at fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> On Fri, 2014-09-12 at 18:18 -0600, Chris Murphy wrote:
>
>> And then also propose that bug for Fedora 21 beta freeze exception.
>> It's virtually certain it'd pass. I mean, it probably could be
>> incorporated without a freeze exception if it goes in before beta
>> freeze (?) but then at least it's on a list and has some extra
>> attention.
>
> Please don't use the blocker and freeze exception lists for this
> purpose: it's what killed the old blocker process. They are not
> 'attention lists', they have a specific purpose.

OK. I mainly meant it as exactly what it is intended for, not as an attention list. "significant installer bugs which do not meet the criteria to be blocker bugs" in that the user indicating they don't want a bootloader installed only means that they don't want the MBR overwritten, not what we presently do which is make post-install use of the bootloader tragically difficult.

> Can't you do the patch? Python isn't really that hard, you can usually
> find something close enough to what you want somewhere else in the same
> file and just hack it up a bit until it works. That's how I 'write code'
> anyway. :P
>
> I'll put this on my 'list of little things to do if I ever get time',
> but…it's kind of a long list :(

I'm trying to encourage the people who have a use case for this to do the work. It's not like this is the worst bug in the world. But the fix does make the installer better.

Chris Murphy