Did I miss an announcement?

Adam Williamson adamwill at fedoraproject.org
Wed Sep 17 21:07:43 UTC 2014

On Wed, 2014-09-17 at 12:55 -0400, Gene Czarcinski wrote:
> Have I missed some sort of announcement concerning the distribution
> packaging changes starting with Fedora 21?

Well...it's https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora.next , basically. As
part of those changes, it was decided not to release a generic DVD image
for F21. I'm having a surprisingly hard time finding a straight-up
announcement of that fact, but I'm sure it's come up more than once in
the general .next discussions on devel@ and elsewhere.

> Where is the equivalent of this
> http://mirror.web-ster.com/fedora/releases/20/Fedora/x86_64/iso/Fedora-20-x86_64-DVD.iso
> for Fedora 21.  All of the current isos under TCx and RC1 are for live,
> workstation, server, and "spins".

There is no 'direct equivalent', for Fedora 21 we ship the Product
deliverables, the live spins, the ARM disk images, and misc. cloud-y
crap.

> Is the new direction forcing the use of netinstall for a general input
> when you do a kickstart?

If I understand what you're saying, effectively yes, but it's not really
about kickstarts, more about offline installs. The discussion was had in
the context of the DVD, and there was general agreement that it'd be OK
for offline installs to be tied to a particular Product or spin, so you
can do an offline install (whether kickstarted or not) of Server or
Workstation or the KDE spin or whatever, but there is no longer a
generic 'Fedora' offline image like the DVD was.

> There is nothing wrong with this approach it is just that was not aware
> it was being done.
>
> I believe I may rethink my approch to installation and move away from
> depending on kickstart.

I guess I'm still not quite seeing where kickstart in particular factors
in here.