F22 MacBook Pro woe

Richard Ryniker ryniker at alum.mit.edu
Thu Apr 16 21:05:32 UTC 2015

I was pleased to see Fedora-Live-Workstation-x86_64-22_Beta-2 boot on my
Apple MacBook Pro 15" with retina display.  "Install to disk" completed
after some fragility relating to my USB flash drive installation
target.  Wrote zeros to the first MByte of the flash drive, then Fedora
would partition, format, and install.

Boot from the new flash drive, and see the expected GRUB menu... except
it says "Use    and    to select..., e to edit, Ctrl-x to boot."  No up
and down arrows, but the up and down cursor keys work fine to move to
different menu lines.

More of a problem is that Ctrl-x does not boot an edited item; it just
inserts an "x" at the cursor.

Boot of the new Fedora system fails with some message about unable to
allocate a USB device (the one that contains Fedora, I expect).  I
discovered the GRUB edit problem when I tried to remove "quiet" and
"rhgb" in an attempt to learn more about the USB problem.  Obviously, the
GRUB menu came from the Fedora drive, and the graphical boot screen
gradually filled the droplet icon with white until it was filled, or very
nearly so.  Alt-d switched to a console where I saw the USB message, and
boot entered an emergency shell.

I'll tinker with the GRUB files and try to learn more, though I wonder if
this is merely some Apple strangeness and there is no Fedora claim to
work on this platform.