nouveau driver freeze -- can anyone else reproduce this?

AV volovics at ziggo.nl
Mon Apr 27 16:21:36 UTC 2015

On 04/27/2015 02:17 PM, Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 27, 2015 at 04:48:37AM -0400, Joerg Lechner wrote:
>> If it's an "optimus", is in case of Geeqie the Nvidia Driver activen
>> or another driver ?
>
> It is indeed Optimus. Out of the box, Fedora doesn't support switching
> as Windows does. There are some experimental support for this
> <http://bumblebee-project.org/>, but it's not very active. So, failing
> that, you can switch in the BIOS setup screen. In my case, since I'm
> using an external monitor, I needed to set it to Nvidia, because the
> Intel GPU is only attached to the laptop's built-in screen.

My experience is that since the inclusion of PRIME gpu offloading
the nouveau driver seems to handle power management and switching
adequately by itself, at least on older Nvidia Optimus chips.

And you can get relevant info on the state through:
  # cat /sys/kernel/debug/vgaswitcheroo/switch

And turn on/off the gpu driving the output by
  # echo ON/OFF > /sys/kernel/debug/vgaswitcheroo/switch

Connect the graphics connectors with:
  # echo IGD/DIS > /sys/kernel/debug/vgaswitcheroo/switch

AV