[f22] Latest libwbclient update broke gnome-control-center

Adam Williamson adamwill at fedoraproject.org
Mon Apr 27 18:06:20 UTC 2015

On Fri, 2015-04-24 at 19:18 +0300, Yanko Kaneti wrote:
> On Fri, 2015-04-24 at 10:43 -0500, Rex Dieter wrote:
> > Yanko Kaneti wrote:

> > > You can:
> > > # update-alternatives --install /usr/lib64/libwbclient.so.0.12
> > > # libwbclient.so.0.12-64
> > > /usr/lib64/samba/wbclient/libwbclient.so.0.12 10
> >
> > Adding library soname symlinks via alternatives seems to be an odd
> > way of
> > doing things.  I hope they know what they're doing.
>
> Perhaps they have some idea, but it also appears there is the grand
> sum total of zilch QA applied to the samba update before being
> hoisted
> upon the unsuspecting Fedora.

Well. F22 is an *pre-release*, remember. By running F22 you are a
tester; this is why updates-testing is enabled by default for Branched
releases. You can, however, disable it, if you want to let other
people do the testing for you.

Besides, this is clearly not a straightforward bug, because it's not
affecting everyone.

https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/FEDORA-2015-6842/samba-4.2.1
-4.fc22

It didn't happen to me:

[adamw at adam isos]$ rpm -q libwbclient
libwbclient-4.2.1-4.fc22.x86_64
[adamw at adam isos]$ ls -l /usr/lib64/libwbclient.so.0
lrwxrwxrwx. 1 root root 19 Apr 27 10:17 /usr/lib64/libwbclient.so.0 ->
libwbclient.so.0.12
adamw at adam isos]$ ls -l /usr/lib64/libwbclient.so.0.12
lrwxrwxrwx. 1 root root 40 Apr 27 10:17 /usr/lib64/libwbclient.so.0.12
-> /etc/alternatives/libwbclient.so.0.12-64

alternatives is always fragile, and I don't know why the package is
using this system, but it doesn't *always* go wrong. There must be
some other factor involved which causes the system to get broken in
some cases but not others.

The use of alternatives for wbclient was introduced in Nov 2014:

* Fri Nov 21 2014 Andreas Schneider <asn at redhat.com> - 4.2.0-0.2.rc2
- Use alternatives for libwbclient.

The only explanation provided is this note in the spec:

# Move libwbclient.so* into private directory, it cannot be just libdir/samba
# because samba uses rpath with this directory.

That feels questionable to me - it seems like there should be a better
way to do it than with alternatives - but it's hard to be sure without
more details.