VTs on F22 unusable!

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Thu Apr 30 14:02:11 UTC 2015

On Thu, Apr 30, 2015 at 07:48:22AM -0600, Ronal B Morse wrote:
> > Take a look in
> > https://dl.fedoraproject.org/pub/alt/stage/22_TC1/Live/x86_64/
> F22 Beta on my machine (I run G3):
> Alt-Ctrl-F3  =  fully functional text mode console
> Alt-Ctrl-F2  =  Restore previous X session
> Alt-Ctrl-F1  =  Create new X session
> I was not prepared for this and got it sorted by accident. Alt-Ctrl-F2
> for a console is going to be a tough habit to break.

This is a systemd convention -- it's actually this way in F21 too.
In short, Alt-Ctrl-F6 is the new Alt-Ctrl-F2. :)

>From http://0pointer.de/blog/projects/serial-console.html

   Two VTs are handled specially by the auto-spawning logic: firstly
   tty1 gets special treatment: if we boot into graphical mode the
   display manager takes possession of this VT. If we boot into
   multi-user (text) mode a getty is started on it -- unconditionally,
   without any on-demand logic[2].

   Secondly, tty6 is especially reserved for auto-spawned gettys and
   unavailable to other subsystems such as X[3]. This is done in order to
   ensure that there's always a way to get a text login, even if due to
   fast user switching X took possession of more than 5 VTs.

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm at fedoraproject.org>