Alpha Criterion Discussion: Desktop Backgrounds

Adam Williamson adamwill at fedoraproject.org
Fri Aug 7 17:03:34 UTC 2015

On Fri, 2015-08-07 at 11:57 -0400, Paul W. Frields wrote:

> I think it would make sense for the Design team to be aware of this
> proposal too.  I think the criterion has been used as a forcing
> function in the past, so if it's not going to trigger a notification
> they expect, we don't want designers to be surprised by this change
> in
> the future.

This is exactly what I *don't* want to happen, and what rather annoys
me about this whole business.

The blocker process is not a tool for the rest of the project to use as
a reminder system. It doesn't work very well for that. The expectation
the blocker process is built around is that people should be working
towards its requirements *all the time*, ideally well in advance, and
the blocker process is there to catch the relatively *few* cases where
things break unexpectedly. It's absolutely not supposed to work like
this:

* QA tests Thing and finds no-one ever even started working on it
* QA files bug and marks it blocker
* Team Thing starts working on Thing

I realize that's an exaggerated example, but it's just to make the
point clear. That's not a sane development process.