no /dev/root when doing remote install using the netinstall iso...

dwoody5654 dwoody5654 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 14 05:35:43 UTC 2015

On 08/13/2015 11:27 PM, Samuel Sieb wrote:
> On 08/13/2015 07:55 PM, dwoody5654 wrote:
>> The error that comes up is that /dev/root can not be found. So I get a
>> better understanding of the problem, exactly what is /dev/root supposed
>> to be? The target drive to install to, the drive that is doing the
>> installing or something else?
>>
> It's the root filesystem that you are booting.  Normally, the
> initramfs contains just enough kernel modules and executables to bring
> up the root filesystem and then switch to it.  I'm not quite clear
> about what you're trying to do, but normally for a net install there
> is a stage2 image that should be the root filesystem containing
> anaconda and all the other software required to do the install.
I have a couple of friends that I am the admin for their computers. They
live in another city. I have always done a remote install to upgrade
from one version of Fedora to another.

I am testing F23.

NOTE: this is being done on a VirtualBox.

The grub.cfg menu entry that I have been using is as follows:

menuentry 'Remote Install' {
set root='hd0,msdos1'
echo    'Loading Linux'
linux /boot/vmlinuz-remote
repo=hd:sda3:/Fedora-Server-netinst-i386-23_Alpha.iso selinux=0
ks.device=enp0s30 ks=hd:sda3:/ks.cfg --noip6 inst.sshd ramdisk_size=8192
panic=30
echo 'Loading initial ramdisk ...'
initrd  /boot/initrd-remote.img
}

Where the vmlinuz and initrd files were copied from the net install iso.

During the boot process it now finds the iso file. I initially had an
error in the menu entry.

When it tries to mount the iso the error line is:

mount: /run/install/isodir/Fedora-Server-netinst-i386-23_Alpha failed to
setup loop device: no such file or directory.

And then displays the error /dev/root does not exist.

Thanks,
David