Heads up - Anaconda 22.17 will enforce 'good' passwords

Scott Robbins scottro at nyc.rr.com
Thu Jan 29 01:34:26 UTC 2015

On Wed, Jan 28, 2015 at 04:05:55PM -0700, Chris Murphy wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 28, 2015 at 9:53 AM, Brian C. Lane <bcl at redhat.com> wrote:
>
> > I *know* this is going to be a bit of a pain to get used to. But the
> > increased security is worth it. Super simple passwords will no longer be
> > allowed, but it is still easy to come up with one that passes the
> > checks. pwgen has lots of suggestions.

Oh for goodness' sakes.  It's going to do nothing but make it more of a
nuisance.  The old adage was that Unix doesn't stop you from doing stupid
things because it would also stop you from doing clever things.  You
already have the weak password thing, confirm you're doing it.

> Instead of coercion, it's more polite to call the user names (stupid,
> idiot, moron, imbecile, etc) if they choose weak passwords. Name
> calling is kinder, more convenient, and honest and capitulation is
> optional. This password policy is complete utter bullcrap. This
> doesn't happen on any other OS I use and it pisses me off that Fedora
> is deciding to do this exactly wrong. It's really that offensive.

Agreed.  Seriously, who do you think really uses this?  Generally, if they
are completely inexperienced, they use Ubuntu or Mint.

I understand the need, or at least want, to appeal to all manner of users,
but this seems to really be overdoing it.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6