Heads up - Anaconda 22.17 will enforce 'good' passwords

Andre Robatino robatino at fedoraproject.org
Fri Jan 30 01:27:01 UTC 2015

Chris Murphy <lists <at> colorremedies.com> writes:

> If this is really an improvement in security, which it isn't because
> an 8 character "good" password still has very low entropy, then it

It depends - if the only concern is remote access, and there is a limit on
the number of login attempts (either by number or rate, or both), and the
attacker doesn't know the password hash, even 8 characters is pretty strong.
And if local access is a concern, then anaconda should take other measures
(requiring disk encryption or a bootloader password?) as well, to be
consistent. (Personally I agree with you, as long as the user is informed
that the password is weak, at that point they should be allowed to use it if
they want.)