proper way to install skype 4.3 on fedora test?

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Thu Jul 23 13:25:16 UTC 2015

  (since i have my updates-testing repo enabled, this would seem to be
the right place to ask this.)

  along with many others, i tried to install (actually, upgrade to)
skype 4.3 on my 64-bit fedora laptop, went to the skype download page,
selected as my distro "Fedora 16 32bit", downloaded the corresponding
skype-4.3.0.37-fedora.i586.rpm, that installed smoothly, but when i
click on the skype icon, my first concern is that the initial login
box shows "Skype[TM] 4.2 for Linux", rather than 4.3.

  and when i try to log in, i get the dreaded "Skype can't connect",
which typically suggests one needs to upgrade the software ... which i
just did, of course.

  i also found this interesting page:

http://www.if-not-true-then-false.com/2012/install-skype-on-fedora-centos-red-hat-rhel-scientific-linux-sl/comment-page-3/

which suggests bypassing that rpm and doing things manually.

  so i'm open to suggestions as to the best approach.

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca