Again? The password

Scott Robbins scottro at nyc.rr.com
Wed Jul 29 21:28:41 UTC 2015

On Wed, Jul 29, 2015 at 03:10:37PM -0600, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> On Wed, 29 Jul 2015 17:03:33 -0400

> Scott Robbins <scottro at nyc.rr.com> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Jul 29, 2015 at 02:49:09PM -0600, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> > Anyway, while an 8 character lowercase letter number combo was
> > considered too weak, sizematters was considered sufficient.
>
> I'm not sure I follow this?

More or less a throwaway line. I made the point that 8 characters, no
matter how random, was not sufficient but a password  of all lower case
with two dictionary words was OK.  Not really germane to the disucssion.
The "Anyway" part meant that _I_ am not all that bothered by it as the
password requirements aren't very complex--or very useful, in my less than
humble opinion.

> > I think, that like many other decisions disliked by the more
> > experienced, they're going to wind up doing it, and once again, a few
> > people will, when it goes into RHEL, be annoyed enough to leave, but
> > not enough to really affect their business--who wants to change the
> > O/S on 100, or even 5, servers?

(To clarify, this statement was made by me, Scott)

> > Or perhaps, why are we suddenly instituting this policy?  <---From
Scott, NOT Kevin.

I'm sorry--if anyone thought that I was implying that you said that, I most
sincerely apologize--I've always felt you were one of the more reasonable
and responsive to user Fedora folk.

> Please be carefull of your quoting. I didn't say those things. ;)

I've kept that part in, emphasizing that it was me, not you--again, if
anyone thought that was you saying it, please accept my apologies.

> > I believe that I used the analogy last time they tried, of the TSA.
> > It gives some appearance of security, does almost no good, and serves
> > to annoy the vast majority.
>
> I don't see the similarity here, but ok.
>
> Anyhow, I likely will stop replying to this thread unless theres
> specific things I can answer. I have tons to do. ;)

Fair enough. :)  And, (again, no sarcasm here) much of it being for the
benefit of Fedora and its users.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6