kernel 4.0.2+ ext4 corruption

Michael Cronenworth mike at cchtml.com
Wed May 20 13:28:37 UTC 2015

On 05/20/2015 05:22 AM, Matthew Miller wrote:
> Michael, are you able to reproduce this reliably, by any chance, so we
> have a test case for any potential fix?

I upgraded to 4.0.4 from a 4.0.0 build I was running. Initially everything seemed fine.

The corruption occurred several hours later after I started an update run and during
the run ldconfig was spitting out "bad ELF" errors. I corrected those that were
reported, but upon a reboot it had corrupted even more files and the system was no
longer bootable due to corruption to libXfont and a few other libraries.

I was able to salvage the system after downgrading to 4.0.1 and re-installing rpm,
yum, and a couple dozen other packages.

The problem may only be related to >4.0.2 and mdadm RAID. I won't have time right
this minute, but if no one else can easily reproduce it I will setup a VM with two
drives and see if that's enough.