dnf system-upgrade clean and dnf clean packages does not work

Donavan Lance shvr at fedoraproject.org
Thu Sep 10 22:50:19 UTC 2015

Hello all,

I was wanting to test upgrading my F22 install to F23 using the new
'dnf system-upgrade' utility but initially ran into an error with an
unsigned package so 'dnf system-upgrade' quit before running the
transaction. That package has since been fixed (out of sync mirror
maybe?).

When 'dnf system-upgrade' quit due to the unsigned package it printed
a message saying that I could clean the download cache with 'dnf clean
packages'. I was wanting to clean everything and wait a while to try
redownloading, but when I ran 'dnf clean packages' I noticed that it
didn't actually clean out any of the files 'dnf system-upgrade'
downloaded. Neither did 'dnf clean all' or 'dnf system-upgrade clean',
which I'm assuming is supposed to clean out the downloaded files as
well. I ended up needing to delete /var/lib/dnf/system-upgrade
manually.

This feels like a bug to me but before reporting one I wanted to check
here and see if anyone else has encountered this or knows anything
about it.

Cheers,

Donavan Lance