[Fedora-trans-it] firstboot

Sarah Wang sarahs at redhat.com
Thu Feb 5 05:42:33 UTC 2004

Paolo Dona' wrote:
> Hi Fede!
>
>>Amazing, you are really quick!
>>As soon as I have time, I'll give you my contribute.
>
> This isn't the truth!!!
> Translating the .po files with KBabel is quite simple and quick.

No doubt you are really quick :)
> Now I'm looking for a way to test the translations with its own packages
> before executing the commit phase..
> Do you have any idea?

I'm not sure about how to test firstboot and anaconda translation
without installing Fedora Core OS, but for anything starts with
redhat-config-, you can use the following method to test the translation
(assuming you are using RH Linux system, lines start with "#" are comments):

# format your po file to mo file
1. msgfmt it.po > <package>.mo

# become root user
2. su -

# make a back up copy of the original mo file
3. cp /usr/share/locale/it/LC_MESSAGES/<package>.mo
/usr/share/locale/it/LC_MESSAGES/<package>.mo~

# replace the original mo file with the new mo file
4. mv <package>.po /usr/share/locale/it/LC_MESSAGES/<package>.mo

# run the software from shell, such as redhat-config-network

You should be able to see your translation now. Please note that not all
your translation strings will be shown because the po files you
translated are for the newer version of the software you use to test them.

Best way to test the translation is to install the lastest Fedora Core.
That way you would be able to test anaconda and firstboot translations
as well.

Hope it helps.

Sarah