Translating manpages

Ruediger Landmann r.landmann at redhat.com
Tue Apr 6 23:31:42 UTC 2010

On 04/06/2010 11:59 PM, Domingo Becker wrote:

> It seems to be a bit more complicated than translating po files.
> Man pages are in nroff/troff format.
> So the problem here is to convert that format to .po format to allow
> translations with our tools and then back to nroff/troff format.

po4a (PO for All) can do manpage-to-PO and back:
http://po4a.alioth.debian.org/

This is already packaged for Fedora -- to try it out,

yum install po4a

then to convert a manpage called cgget.1 into a PO file (for example, in
fr-FR):

po4a-gettextize -f man -m cgget.1 -p cgget-fr-FR.po

then, to apply the PO file to the manpage:

po4a-translate -f man -m cgget.1 -p cgget-fr-FR.po -l cgget.fr.1

(NB -- I don't know the naming conventions for translated manpages --
this is an example only).

Works great :)

Rudi