Transifex migration

Diego Búrigo Zacarão diegobz at gmail.com
Fri Dec 31 00:14:05 UTC 2010

Hello all,

Yes, I'm not dead (yet). Just being a bit away. :)

Well... Finally, thanks to the hard work of Domingos Becker, we've got
Transifex 0.9.1
packaged and an instance of it running at
https://translate.stg.fedoraproject.org/ with
some data from the production instance. Yeahh!! Submissions are not working,
but you
already can see what's different from 0.7.x.

Now we enter the last phase of the process, I believe.

I would like to encourage everyone willing to give feedback here to have a
look on what's
been implemented in 0.8.x[1] and 0.9.x[2] versions, so you can understand
some aspects
that will have to change from our current experience with Transifex 0.7.x.

The main major changes are:

* No more Collections. Now you can have releases in projects.
* Project Teams support.

I will not explain how things are working now. I'm assuming you know enough
here. :)
So my suggestion for the new structure based on Transifex 0.9.x is the
following:

Create a main project called 'Fedora' and create all the necessary team in
it.
Outsource the access control of all the other projects (anaconda,
system-config-*,
docs-*, etc..) to the main 'Fedora' project. This way the other projects
will be using
the teams of the main project as a unique and centralized place.

The association of people with the correct team can be done manually.
Everyone
of us can request access to a 'Fedora' project team related to its language.

The releases are going to be mounted under the main 'Fedora' project. You
can have a
idea on how things will work looking at the XFCE[3] instance that even have
some
customizations on the templates.

That's the easiest way I could thought to manage the new workflow without
much pain, if any.

Thoughts?

[1] http://help.transifex.net/technical/releases/0.8.html
[2] http://help.transifex.net/technical/releases/0.9.html
[3] https://translations.xfce.org/

******

I'm going to be away for the next days, so happy new year to everyone and
lets start
2011 with the right leg (as we say here in Brazil). :)

Cya

--
Diego Búrigo Zacarão
http://diegobz.net