Fwd: Tx 0.7/0.8 question

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Tue Feb 16 13:45:11 UTC 2010

On Tue, Feb 09, 2010 at 04:02:54PM -0500, Paul Frields forwarded a
message from Dimitris Glezos, who wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 4, 2010 at 3:17 AM, Paul W. Frields <stickster at gmail.com> wrote:
> > In a little over a month, March 11, the Docs group will be approaching
> > a deadline for their guides.  By that time, they need translate.fp.o
> > running Tx 0.7.  There's a ticket open for that, and work is
> > progressing:
> >
> > https://fedorahosted.org/fedora-infrastructure/ticket/1455
> >
> > I asked in tonight's Docs meeting about that deadline, and whether the
> > Docs team had considered any alternatives.  One alternative is to
> > continue using the old system, with bad (and tedious) hacking required
> > on the part of Docs maintainers to split/merge Publican POT files for
> > use on the older Tx.
>
> This is a bit hairy and we should probably avoid it, like you implied.
> We need to channel resources into more creative and important stuff.
>
> > Another alternative might be using transifex.net for one release.  As
> > transifex.net is a completely free software platform, doing this would
> > not go against the Fedora mission or methodologies.  However, it would
> > depend heavily on the portability of 0.8 data/schema back to 0.7.  How
> > hard is that, and is this viable at all if it comes to an emergency?
>
> 0.8-alpha is out, so Fedora could upgrade straight to 0.8 in a few
> weeks anyway. Additionally, the work needed to re-create a few
> projects on translate.fpo is very small -- just a few clicks away. For
> these reasons I wouldn't worry too much about migration. =)
>
> We'd be happy to help in any way we can. Adding Docs on Txn should be
> a few minutes' work. There's a ticket open to enable Transifex.net
> submit to Fedora Hosted:
>
>  https://fedorahosted.org/fedora-infrastructure/ticket/1687
>
> For the record, Transifex offers migrations both in a forward way as
> well as backwards. We haven't done heavy tests on the latter, but they
> should work.
>
> > Just to be clear, I have full faith in our Infrastructure team;
> > they're true genii.  But it's always good to have a backup plan.
>
> I too believe we have an excellent Infrastructure team. Our challenge
> is resources, since we don't have people actively maintaining and
> pushing our L10n infrastructure. We could try this out and see how it
> goes. It's how we first tested Transifex itself, right? First it was
> docs, then we moved more projects.
>
> By the way -- we could consider switching to transifex.net in general.
> We roll out incremental upgrades there and, as a plus, using an
> upstream instance will help in many areas. If you consider projects
> like Pulseaudio and Packagekit, this makes total sense. If you
> remember, we have had complaints in the past about
> system-config-printer. Even for projects like Anaconda it makes sense:
> Moblin is using Anaconda and it's a pity to lose translators. Examples
> of projects using a hosted free software are Qt and Maemo using
> Gitorious (qt.gitorious.org and maemo.gitorious.org). Even Moblin is
> [...]

It looks like we're a lot further along after a couple more weeks.
The new ticket status shows a staging instance now available at:

http://translate.stg.fedoraproject.org

Looks like Dimitris Glezos has kindly created a couple projects
already that are configured as multi-POT:

https://fedorahosted.org/fedora-infrastructure/ticket/1455#comment:48

There's a minor problem that needs to be fixed with the clone/checkout
process, but once that's done it should be possible to test.